Pre-departure Information

Visa Application Process

Once OGU International Center receives your online application and OGU approves of accepting you, we will apply for the Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) on your behalf at Osaka Immigration Bureau. Once it is approved and issued here in Japan, we will send it to you via registered post. When you receive your Certificate of Eligibility, you must visit the nearest Japanese embassy or consulate in your country where you will submit this Certificate of Eligibility and your passport to apply for your student visa. Be sure to call and check with your closest Japanese consulate or embassy regarding how long it will take to process visa applications. Once you have your student visa and passport, you are ready to come to Japan and must arrive on the designated arrival day.

Money and Credit Cards

Please remember to bring enough money to cover living expenses and rent for the first few months, for you will need to pay rent and insurance at orientation. We strongly recommend that you bring a credit card as they can be used in most stores in Japan. Japan is still a cash-based society, but credit cards and electric money (IC Cards) are becoming more prevalent. Most ATM machines accept overseas cards, however there may be a limit on the amount that can be withdrawn per day. Money orders can be accepted through companies such as Western Union.


Clinics and major hospitals can be found throughout Japan, and the standard of medical care and medicines is comparable to that of most western countries. However, students wishing to bring in prescription medicines must be aware that some anti-depressant or psychotropic drugs require permission to be brought in (imported) to Japan. Please refer to the following link for further information:
Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare Website
Over the counter medicines and herbal remedies are readily available in Japan, but may have a different brand name than in other countries.

Presents or Gifts(Omiyage)

Gift giving is a very popular custom in Japan. Anything you bring as gifts for your buddy, home visit family or new friends will be greatly appreciated. The most common gifts are special or unique items from your home country or city: for example, a picture book of your country, scenic calendars, sweets or specialty candies.

Sharing your home culture

Please bring photographs, traditional clothing, foods, picture books or brochures from your country. These items can be useful when you share interesting information about your home, family, culture, and country with your new friends and your host family and also when you participate in cultural events at OGU.

Household Items

Japan uses a 100-volt alternating current, and a 2 parallel pin plug (Type A). US electric appliances will work, yet at a slightly reduced efficiency. If you are bringing an appliance from a country which operates on 200-240 volt currents, you will need a step-up transformer to use with Japan's 100-volt current. Most everyday appliances can be bought cheaply from electronic stores.

Page Top